Thursday, January 19, 2012

Grandma comes to town

The week started off very well.  I joined several other VIP's for a hike up Monkey Hill.  Though no monkeys were spotted it was still a nice hike.  We did see lots of cows and several barking dogs.  I had high hopes of meeting some other women who are VIP but instead I enjoyed my hike with 6 other men.  They were great and conversation was good.  I was afraid though at one point when I had to tie my shoe that I was faking it and perhaps trying to catch my breath...but no really my shoe was untied.  I enjoyed the rest of my afternoon on the beach reading...tough life...
Tuesday I ventured out again to a VIP event, Volleyball.  I'm no volleyball player but I thought again it would be a way to meet others.  I did meet to nice girls and we were able to chit chat for a bit.  I did not partake in the volleyball instead I sunbathed.  With all this basking in the sun one would think that I would be as brown as a peanut by now...nope...not one bit.  I topped of Tuesday with a lots of studying and reading for my classes.  Andrew's week has been full of studying and classes and then some more studying.
Wednesday has by far been the highlight of our week...why?? Because Mawmaw and Ben came to visit! And what a nice visit we had.  Andrew and I arrived at port to pick them up and they were just tickled to see us there.  We made signs and everything, silly, yes, over the top, no. Bless their hearts! Mawmaw and Ben even brought two suitcases filled to the brim with school supplies, clothing, and home comforts for us.  They just walked right off the cruise and no one paid them any mind.  Well some people thought they were leaving the cruise but she filled them in.  We came back to campus and made breakfast and then enjoyed  a tour of campus.  Mawmaw and Ben got to see our dorm room and walk all through campus, seeing some of Andrew's classrooms, the Student Union, campus hang out spots.  We all ate lunch on campus in the courtyard and simply just enjoyed each others company.  Andrew had to leave us after lunch to go to class, so Mawmaw, Ben, and I caught a cab back to port where we did a little shopping and had ourselves and afternoon toddy.  Then it was time to say goodbye...I didn't want to let them leave, I told them we had second bedroom.  There were lots of tears and lots of hugs but time was getting late and they needed to board.  With one last hug I said goodbye.  I cried the whole way home.  I walked from port to the bus stop, which was about a 10 minute walk, just sobbing.  I thought someone might stop me and ask me what was wrong; but then I figured they probably thought I was deranged and needed to keep their distance.  I was like a lost kindergartner at the bus station.  I crying and trying to figure out what bus ( really they are vans) I needed to be on.  FINALLY! a street vendor asked if I needed help and through the tears he was able to understand that I needed to back to campus.  So with a fist bump and a hail of a bus I was on my way.  I wasn't done crying...I cried the whole way back to campus and I'm sure the kid next to me in the bus was trying not to stare or make eye contact with me.  Once home I finally dried my eyes and sucked it up...well kinda.  Andrew made it all better; nothing like a good ole PB & J.  Comfort foods can sometimes cure a multitude of ills.  It was more bitter then sweet to say goodbye to Mawmaw and Ben but nevertheless the company was appreciated and lifted my spirits.  







No comments:

Post a Comment